Monday, June 7, 2010

Coupe du Monde

The Socceroos in action!

The Rose farmhouse
The Civic sits at the Apricot Hill B&B

June 5
Arrived on Saturday morning in Johannesburg for the World Cup after a 15 ½ hour flight on South African Airways. Ironically saw “Invictus” on the plane (as well as Avatar). Was taken by an AFP driver to the Mercure hotel where most of the AFP editors are staying. I was handed many items: local cell phone, game tickets, instructions for various events, SIM card for the technicians to install in my computer, GPS unit, cash advance for gasoline. And a Honda Civic since I’m driving to various sites. Wouldn’t be much of a problem except they drive on the left-hand side of the road.

I meet with another photographer, Phillippe, and we take the AFP shuttle bus to the main media center to get credentials and see the bureau. I hand my computer to a technician who does all sorts of updates. Francois, the photo-technician hands me a diagram that looks like we are assembling the space shuttle. I’m to program my computer and cameras to immediately send photos to the editing desk as I take them during the actual matches. We are handed various boxes, cables, wires and try to make sense out of it all. By a miracle it all works after I’m done.

About 1pm a group of the photo people head to the barbeque for lunch. The press center is at a large convention center with a central court. An outdoor kiosk has set up grills and for RSA 80 (about $10.50) you get meal with a drink.

June 6
The adventure begins Sunday morning as I set the GPS and ease the Civie out of the hotel driveway onto a busy street, after remembering to get into the right side of the car. First action is a right (!) turn, our equivalent of a left turn into on coming traffic. Fortunately a car is in front of me and I follow into the correct (left) side of the street. I follow the Commonwealth accent of the GPS voice to the N3 highway. After a few dicey turns, I’m on the freeway going 100 (!) kilometers per hour, really only 60mph. Traffic flows and I stay way to the left going the speed limit, which most people seem to be doing. I’m headed to Muldersdrift, a town in near by Krugersdorp, looks to be about 40 miles or so from Johannesburg.

By a combination of excellent directions and the GPS I find the Apricot Hill Farm B&B, which is 3 km on a dirt road off the main road. The area is part farming, part suburbia. Wendy, one of the owners, shows me the Rose farmhouse, my 1 room abode. With the braai (barbecue) on my terrace if I want to use it. The place is very quite except for the giant guard dogs.

I’m relatively close to the Ruimsig Stadium which, fortunately, is a left turn on to the main road, then 8 km or so, then a left into the stadium road. The return back to Apricot Hill is the hard part. Team Australia, or the Quantas Socceroos, train at Ruimsig.

June 7
After many technical problems I go shopping for lunch and dinner. There is a basic kitchen in the room and late day practices mean I’m done about 7-8pm. Not too many restaurants in the area, so it seems easier to make a few meals. At today’s practice the sun is setting making long, dramatic shadows and happy photographers.

No comments: